There are four major legends associated with naming of “Gorkha”
1. In Nepali,‘ Kharka’ means ‘Grass Land’. This land was believed to be like meadow in Ancient period. Thus it was named Kharka and later the term Kharka got modified to Garkha and Garkha changed to Gorkha.
2. In Sanskrit Scripture, ‘Gorakshaa’ means the protection of cow. Since Nepal is a country where killing a Cow is condsidered unholy and a very serious crime, the land was named Goraksha and later it became Gorkha.
3. Myth holds that a Saint named Gorakhnath appeared for the first in Nepal in Gorkha. There is still a cave with his paduka(feet) and idol of him in this place which supports the Myth. Thus since the city was established in the place where Sage Gorakhnath appeared, it was named ‘Gorkha’.
Places to Visit
1. Manakamana Temple: The Manakamana Temple situated in the Gorkha district of Nepal is the sacred place of the Hindu Goddess Bhagwati, an incarnation of Parvati. The name Manakamana originates from two words, “mana” meaning heart and “kamana” meaning wish. Venerated since the 17th century, it is believed that Goddess Bhagawati grants the wishes of all those who make the pilgrimage to her shrine to worship her. Cable Car connecting Kurintaar to Manakamana temple.
2. Gorakhnath Cave: It lies ten meters down the southern side of Gorkha Palace which is visited with great devotion by Brahmans and Chhetris considering it to be the holy pilgrimage Site. Great fare is organized each year on the day of Baisakh Purnima(the full moon Day of Baisakh) in Gorakhnath Cave.
3. Gorakhkali Temple: This Temple is located at the west side of the Gorkha Palace.
4. Chepe, Daraudi, Marsyangdi and Budhi Gandaki.
5. Gorkha Palace : About 1700 steps leads you to the top of the hill at an altitude of 3281 ft. where Newar fashioned Gorkha Palace stands firm along with forts and temple boasting on its rich History. It is at 40–50 minutes of Walking Distance far from Gorkha Bazaar. One can view Manaslu(the 8th Highest Mountain of the World), Dhaulagiri and Ganesh Mountains from the Palace Complex.
7. Ligligkot and Lakhan Thapa Gaon are popular places in Gorkha for Hiking.
8. Dhike Dada is a new attraction for public from Gorkha,Tanahun and Lamjung.